Breathe Easy, You've Found Me ((HUGS))

People will wonder why this blog is needed, why minority midwifery student? It's very simple actually; I was looking for this blog...but I couldn't find it...so I created it. We all have unique experiences, and every experience, every story, can help someone else. I am a black girl from the hood at an ivy league professional school. That, alone, is reason enough to write. Somebody was looking for this blog. Someone wanted proof that what I'm doing can be done - even when you come from where we come from.

To that person especially, WELCOME.

Friday, September 28, 2007

Exhaustion & Delirium

I have been studying non-stop for what feels like months, but is really only weeks. I have a Nurse-Midwifery Primary Care exam and a Pathophysiology exam on Monday, and my physical assessment check-off exam on Tuesday. I'm so sick of studying. Especially Patho which never seems to sink in. Then I have to get ready for week 2 of clinical which is like a class all by itself, but still rewarding.

I'm tired. But I can't sleep because my mind is full of other stuff...also I think it's psychological...I hate going to sleep now because it always feels like I haven't slept for an hour before it's time to get up. You know that feeling you get when you fall asleep on the couch fully clothed and don't wake up until next morning and you feel like you've been cheated out of a night's sleep because you never really went to bed? That's how it's been feeling lately when I wake up. I hate that.

At least tomorrow I don't have to get up too early. But I should be out of the house by 10 though...I have so much studying to do.

4 comments:

Sarah Stewart said...

I had to laugh when I read this-welcome to the world of a student midwife!! It will be really important for you to work out a strategy for self-care, which will not only work for you as a student but also a practicing midwife. How will you look after yourself so you survive? Good luck Sarah

Student Nurse Midwife said...

I can feel your pain as well. I have a Pathophys/Pharmacology exam Tuesday and validations both on Thursday and Friday. Lame. It's so funny because all of the student blogs' I read have the subject line of "I should be studying" ... but instead I'm commenting on your blog :)

Hope you do well this weekend/week.

AtYourCervix said...

I feel your pain....

kati b said...

I have been skating through this semester and it just feels so wrong - like any minute now the hall monitor is going to bust in my door and point her ruler at me and yell "Ha-HA!"

I have five shifts to work at the restaurant this week and man oh man do I not want to be doing that when I have a peds and research midterm next week and a nursing student assoc conference next weekend, for which i am supposed to make some sort of poster about why folks should vote for me to be the Breakthrough to Nursing Director. (all I've come up with so far is #1-because it's a dumb name?, and i've picked out the kind of stickers I'm going to use.)

so. feeling your pain also.

I know! We need a pensieve! Somebody call Hogwarts - Dumbledore's dead, he won't mind!