Breathe Easy, You've Found Me ((HUGS))

People will wonder why this blog is needed, why minority midwifery student? It's very simple actually; I was looking for this blog...but I couldn't find it...so I created it. We all have unique experiences, and every experience, every story, can help someone else. I am a black girl from the hood at an ivy league professional school. That, alone, is reason enough to write. Somebody was looking for this blog. Someone wanted proof that what I'm doing can be done - even when you come from where we come from.

To that person especially, WELCOME.

Thursday, September 6, 2007

Crockpots and Pregnancy Wheels


We were given our pregnancy wheels yesterday...it was a moment! I thought, this is mine...I'm going to be using it...not just for fun...for real...
Anyway. I should buy my books. I've been wavering because we never use the books (story of a college student's life!) But the beautiful hardback "I am a midwife" ones really need to be on my shelf.
My clinical, although not final, is more than likely going to be at a local university's women's health center (ie: immunizations, birth control, STI counseling, & pelvic exams mostly) I was told, "at your clinic, you will get to know normal" and that's perfectly fine with me!
Today I had a four hour break between classes (arrrgh) and I went home to fix the man dinner during the break time. Chialing asked if I use a Crockpot, the answer is **YES** absolutely! In fact, I have TWO and sometimes use them both at the same time (think greens in one and ribs in the other) The problem is that I use them TOO much! LOL Just last week the man said "I can not take another crokpot piece of meat; I want fried chicken!" I had to laugh and give in because it had been so long since I fried chicken! I love my red crockpot!

2 comments:

kati b said...

I read this initially as "Crackpots and Pregnancy Wheels" and nodded, smiling, thinking that certainly sums up my opinion of the OB that told me to climb on up in bed and don't worry about that second gown to cover my butt while I was walking, because I wouldn't BE walking because they needed to continously monitor me or my baby would die die die, since he was 42.3 weeks, according to the pregnancy wheel.

But, in fact, that is NOT what this post is about - and as I read it, I'm so excited for you about the idea of getting a tool of your profession! I remember how cool I thought I was first semester when we checked out the little black leather bags with a BP cuff and otoscopes and tuning forks so we could practice PE on each other in the hallway.

Pamela said...

i love, love, love the metal wheels over plastic. but damn if i can't find any without some pharmaceutical advertising (and why is it always birth control pills that are on those things? well that or infant formula)...

xoxo