Breathe Easy, You've Found Me ((HUGS))

People will wonder why this blog is needed, why minority midwifery student? It's very simple actually; I was looking for this blog...but I couldn't find it...so I created it. We all have unique experiences, and every experience, every story, can help someone else. I am a black girl from the hood at an ivy league professional school. That, alone, is reason enough to write. Somebody was looking for this blog. Someone wanted proof that what I'm doing can be done - even when you come from where we come from.

To that person especially, WELCOME.

Sunday, December 7, 2008

On Writing a Thesis, Part 3

Yesterday I spent all day working on chapter 2 (methods) of my thesis, and I still have one more section (data analysis methods) to finish the chapter.

Today I work up to the sound of a metal shovel on concrete outside my window- too early in the morning- got up, looked out and saw snow. I crawled back into bed and haven't moved since. The first complete draft of my thesis is due tomorrow.

I still have the literature review section + results, and discussion to write (or as much of them as I can, considering I'm not really done collecting data yet) by midnight tomorrow. I have a good argument for why the results and discussion won't be done... but there will be no excuse for the literature review, so I guess I can start on that first thing in the AM if I can't pull myself out of bed tonight... this is so sad, and I know it.

But I'm writing this post because it's part of the process. I'm starting to dread writing. It wasn't always like this. I feel like my thesis is crap (the writing- not the data... interviewing midwifery students has been the best part of my semester) and like when it's over I'll want to bury this thing under a rock somewhere far, far away.

I heard it would be like this. I'm glad that I had fair warning. But there really isn't anyway to prepare for the frustration.

In other news, I caught two babies in the last 6 days, and will putting up HIPPA-compliant birth stories soon.

I really appreciate the comments you guys leave! Since I haven't managed to put newer folks in my sidebar, everyone please pay Giyen at baconismyenemy a visit- I am a dedicated reader of hers now.

No comments: