Breathe Easy, You've Found Me ((HUGS))

People will wonder why this blog is needed, why minority midwifery student? It's very simple actually; I was looking for this blog...but I couldn't find it...so I created it. We all have unique experiences, and every experience, every story, can help someone else. I am a black girl from the hood at an ivy league professional school. That, alone, is reason enough to write. Somebody was looking for this blog. Someone wanted proof that what I'm doing can be done - even when you come from where we come from.

To that person especially, WELCOME.

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

On Writing a Thesis in Midwifery School, part 2

I've been away cause I haven't much to say. It seems like all my thoughts lately are about how tired of school I am and about how much I have to do and I fear those are very boring things to hear to most folks. But then I remember the purpose of this blog is to tell the truth of midwifery school, so I really should write more...

Today, and tomorrow... and the next day, and the next... and the next... I will be working on my thesis. Specifically, working on finishing a complete draft, which is due by Monday. I have exactly one chapter... and three or four (depending) to go. I hate school right now. Today so far I have typed out a transcript of an interview (like 10 pages single spaced) which is a kind of torture I don't wish on anyone who isn't getting paid a handsome sum, and tried desperately to finish the methods section (chapter 2) which is close to being done, but isn't there yet. I keep staring at the pages like they're going to write themselves. Wishing they would write themselves. If I had this to do over again, I think I would do a survey monkey and call it a day... but then again, the live interviewing was the best thing ever. I still have a couple interviews to do... so my analysis section is going to be the roughest of all as I haven't collected all the data yet.

I spent the first several hours in a beautiful library, but now I'm in the grad school cafe... but it's getting noisy so I'm considering a move to a library... but I'm hungry because although I've had like 6 cups of coffee and a croissant and a muffin and a nutragrain bar, I haven't had any food. I think I may have to go home and regroup. But I know that if I do, I won't get anything else done tonight... not that I'm getting anything done write now...

UGH.

I hate school right now.

Yesterday I caught a baby girl... oh crap I need to turn in an eval for that birth... sigh.

I need to find time to study for my advanced midwifery final... and do a case analysis that's worth 50% of my grade... and a take home professional midwifery exam that looks like it will be at least 10 pages before it's over... and create a portfolio for the same class...

slooooooow dowwwwwwwwwn minority midwifery student

one thing at a time...

THESIS.

Oh yeah, that's it.

That's what's due first.

How many hours left? Oh about 500 hours of writing but only 125 or so to do it in.... and 8 of those will be spent in class tomorrow.

What was I thinking when I signed up for this?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're doing it because you're awesome that's why. :)

I never finished school and it's been my one big regret so far.

deb said...

It's not boring. I can't remember how this crazy engineer type found you but its interesting getting a glimpse into your life.

Sending lots of energy vibes your way to help you with your thesis-and the rest of the work. I know you can rise to this challenge-but you know the old saying...Put one foot in front of the other...(was that a song?)

I have to agree with Giyen-you are awesome!

Deb

Lovepoetically said...

keep working hard!! youre inspiring the young undergrad black women, *cough myself*, to aspire to great things such as a PhD and to become a nurse-midwife. thats fly!!

Lakyn said...

hey..
GREAT WORK...
um.. probably an obvious answer to this question but do you have to finish school to be able to become a midwife?
x
please get back
lakyne2003@yahoo.com.au
p.s this is in australia