Breathe Easy, You've Found Me ((HUGS))

People will wonder why this blog is needed, why minority midwifery student? It's very simple actually; I was looking for this blog...but I couldn't find it...so I created it. We all have unique experiences, and every experience, every story, can help someone else. I am a black girl from the hood at an ivy league professional school. That, alone, is reason enough to write. Somebody was looking for this blog. Someone wanted proof that what I'm doing can be done - even when you come from where we come from.

To that person especially, WELCOME.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Current Happenings

We're back home finally. I did not manage to get my license because I lacked some official paperwork I needed. I knew this would happen, and I'm glad I did a dry run. I now know where the board of nursing is and what time I need to get there (an hour before the door opens) exactly what paperwork I need, and the process that I'm going to have to follow to get this done. While walking away without my license was very frustrating, I'm glad I drove the five hours to figure it out (I had been given incorrect info on the phone - which someone else told me was very likely) It was worth it to see family, too. On the downside, my hair sucks. I do not like the style I ended up with. I really, really miss my dreads. I came close to crying thinking about it.

I need to seriously buckle down for the rest of the semester... 8 weeks left... My midwifery midterm is next week and covers:

Bleeding (AP, IP, & PP)
Intrapartum infections
Abnormalities of labor
Abnormal presentations
Shoulder dystocia
Preterm labor
Post-term pregnancy
VBAC
Initiation of labor
Active management of labor

sigh...

...the best part about midterms is the extended hours of the libraries on campus and the studious vibe of the university... coffee, laptops, pajamas, good times.

Last week I caught my sixth baby, the first without a preceptors hands posed in case I needed them. She stood waaaay back, and I didn't realize it until it was over, a few days later. I felt good about that birth, despite the fact that it qualified as precipitous and one of my gloves was only halfway on... and the bag of waters broke on the perineum and sprayed me, barely missing my open mouth- I didn't have on birth gear(mask! and gown) because it happened so fast...

Oh the life of a midwifery student.

No comments: