Breathe Easy, You've Found Me ((HUGS))

People will wonder why this blog is needed, why minority midwifery student? It's very simple actually; I was looking for this blog...but I couldn't find it...so I created it. We all have unique experiences, and every experience, every story, can help someone else. I am a black girl from the hood at an ivy league professional school. That, alone, is reason enough to write. Somebody was looking for this blog. Someone wanted proof that what I'm doing can be done - even when you come from where we come from.

To that person especially, WELCOME.

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Blogging Through a Headache in Procrastination

I have a lot to do school-wise today. I have papers to write, thesis stuff, and at least a micro study before clinical in the morning. I was not anticipating going to clinical in the morning, so studying for that was not something I planned for until today, unfortunately. I always wonder if other students feel this drowning, sinking feeling I do about how much there is to do, and how very little I actually know about women's health, labor and birth and beyond. One of my struggle points is the patho/physiology of all of it. I can read it over and over again, but it doesn't stick. I really, really do have a memory problem, but there's no explanation for it. My daddy has a terrible memory as well... but I guess he's allowed because he's getting older... and he isn't responsible for anyone's life. Last time I had blood testing, my thyroid was fine and my vit B12 level was normal. But still I am always tired and I can't remember crap. But I have never been able to remember things like this, even as a child, so maybe this is just me. I wonder if my residency preceptor is kind?

Anyway, my point is I need to update/improve my black book for school/clinical because if I can't remember this stuff I at least need to be able to find it quickly. So add that to the list of things to get done today. And to top it off I have a massive headache that just wont quit.

Afternoon Plan (maybe writing it here will help me stick to it)
  • 12:30 Paper (very short) for Professional Issues class
  • 2: Data Analysis section of my thesis
  • 5: Organize the binders of two classes causing me grief
  • 5:30 Pick a nursing leader to analyze for a paper I'm writing later in the week
  • 6: Head home to review for clinical in a comfy spot on the couch with something warm and possibly spiked
In other news, this weather is really taking a toll on the walking regimen that I so successfully started this summer. I'm also drinking a lot more coffee and cocoa, which isn't a good thing, as more coffee and cocoa equals more sugar- especially since I tend to drink them with a donut, muffin, or bagel in the other hand. Sigh. I also cook less and less now that school's back in, and the food prices are so freakin high. Me and the man can eat out for less than we can cook... unless we're cooking with a lot of rice or pasta, which is really not the ideal situation. I've also taken a play outta the man's playbook and been eating frozen meals, which I HATE. But they're so quick. Midwifery school this semester + increasing frequency of bad habits = expanded waistline sure to follow. And what's worse? I crave smoking. isn't that odd? I'm not really a smoker, but I do smoke every now and again from the man's stash. But lately I've been really wanting to. Ugh.

No comments: