Breathe Easy, You've Found Me ((HUGS))

People will wonder why this blog is needed, why minority midwifery student? It's very simple actually; I was looking for this blog...but I couldn't find it...so I created it. We all have unique experiences, and every experience, every story, can help someone else. I am a black girl from the hood at an ivy league professional school. That, alone, is reason enough to write. Somebody was looking for this blog. Someone wanted proof that what I'm doing can be done - even when you come from where we come from.

To that person especially, WELCOME.

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Because Something Always Keeps Me Up an Night

I'm one of those thinking people who lay in bed for hours trying to fall asleep unsuccessfully because of the ridiculously extreme future planning swirling around in my head. I'm also a planner. Organizer. Goal setter and writer-downer. A budgeter.


A worrier.


So, something is always keeping me up at night, and for the last several months the reigning question at 2 am has been: When should I get a Phd?


I am SO SICK of having this conversation with myself. But I also think that maybe there are others out there having with themselves as well?!? Or probably some folks out there trying to decide whether they should work for an RN for a year (or another year) before going back to nursing school for their masters degree. I ask people around me questions like "how did you decide when to get your PhD?" or "generally, how many years of full time clinical nursing is considered to be optimal when you're interviewing people for faculty positions?" I've also talked to people about raising children while in doctoral programs, and having children in their first few years of practice. I guess I do field research, lol. It's funny when I think about it, but also necessary, I think. One of the best things about nursing is that it's dominated by women. Sure, there are drawbacks to this, but how cool to be a part of a profession that is mostly made up of women and therefore has women in every leadership role available. This provides the perfect opportunity to explore the intersection of working and personal life for women...




No comments: